February 20, 2013

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN costumes: MAKE 'EM LAUGH dummy

Wow - I went straight from finishing one musical production to the next one!  

(Practically... I finished this one the first week in December, then my whole family got sick with 2 types of flu through Christmas, we were better by New Years, and I started THIS musical in January!)   

I was hired by Ponderosa High School Theatre to be the Costume Director for this show:
The interesting thing about working on costumes on a high school level is that my crew is students.  I get to train them by example, and on a practical level, teach them skills so they can one day do this themselves if they so desire.  I have a great set of 5 girls that I have gotten to know and hope to stay in touch with for years to come.     


One of the first things I sewed up for the show was the dummy from Cosmo's "Make 'Em Laugh" scene.



Here's the clip from the movie:  My 4-year old thinks this is funniest thing to watch!  Personally, I enjoy it more every time I see it.  Very catchy indeed.





Here's a few peeks into how I made it:


I had traced my 16-year old son's outline onto pattern paper to get proportions and an outline for size.  Then I made a few adaptations into a paper pattern and cut it out of a sturdy muslin.  2 body pieces on the fold, 4 arm pieces, and 4 lower leg pieces. 



After sewing each unit individually (lower legs, arms, body), I stuffed them, then joined the units into one headless body.  I used stuffing from old pillows that I took apart - gotta love recycling!




I used bed-size pillows to fill the body torso - they fit perfectly!  That pillow that looks like it could be a head for the dummy is NOT a head.  It is an extra pillow that we brought to rehearsal just in case it needed  to be "rounder" in the middle...we ended up using it.  I hand-sewed the top closed. 




Off to rehearsal to try it out!  




"Don'cha know everyone wants to laugh?"



It was a hit!  Our Cosmo loved it and his choregraphy is wonderful and hilarious - they make a beautiful scene together!

Stay tuned for more costume highlights to come...



UPDATE:  Here are some performance pictures of our famous dummy with Cosmo!







Curtain call!
Aren't they great?

And here is a link to the video of their performance.



{FYI, I was the Costume Director for Ponderosa High School's "Singin' In The Rain".  This play was directed by the fantastic Geoffrey Reynolds - look for us on Broadway one day ;) ;) }




I link up to these parties. ~If you are interested in receiving updates and future posts from this blog, please sign up to "FOLLOW" on the top right of this page. Let's keep in touch!~

4 comments:

  1. You know, I was once told by a supposedly intelligent male that I was "too smart to study costume design," and that I should major in something "useful". I'm snorting over his lack of foresight after seeing the skill you put into this. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melia! I remember working with you in our costume design classes and being inspired by how bright and brilliant your ideas and energy were! It can be hard work too but if you LOVE it, it's fun too!

      Delete
  2. Your the best and that is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom - you were always my biggest fan :) and a great inspiration yourself!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment so I know you stopped by! I love to hear from you!